WARNING: This decadent coconut avocado mousse will become one of your easiest and most luxurious party dessert…EVER!
It visually looks and tastes just like a conventional mousse. True Story!
What’s the catch you say? NONE!!! It’s made only and I mean ONLY with healthy, wholesome and wholefood goodness. There’s some freezing and soaking time involved but other than that, you’ll be eating chocolate mousse in no time.
Throw 5 ingredients (yes, FIVE) in a blender or food processor, scoop to your favourite glass and enjoy!
There’s no refined-sugar, or cream or eggs involved, just heavenly vegan, dairy free, dessert amazing-ness. Now, I’ve seen other friends make this with smashed banana or nut butter but I think coconut cream makes an exceptionally creamy texture reminiscent of mousse we’re usually accustomed to.
Here’s a look at the nutritional highlights to get you even more excited:
Earning its name as the ‘Olive oil of the Americas’, avocado has heart-healthy monounsaturated oils that can lower blood pressure and helps to keep those creaky joints soft and supple.
Antioxidant rich, it’s an excellent anti-inflammatory source, beneficial for those who suffer from arthritis. Avocado’s rich fat content also aids in absorbing other nutrients from other fruits and vegetables. It’s even been shown to boost women’s fertility.
Cacao is full of healthy nutrients helping to improve immunity, greater longevity and quicker recovery from intense workouts. Soothing a sore throat, easing a cough and stomach upsets, are just some of its healing properties.
Choose to buy organic as there are a host of pesticides used for the conventional version and keep it dark, at least 70% to get the most antioxidants.
Aside from its abilities to enhance metabolism, increase fat burning capabilities, boosting energy and increasing healthy cholesterol, the cream, milk, flesh and water of a coconut simply tastes delicious.
I also associate it with that healthy and warm tropical feeling..can you blame me?
Although you can make this in advance, it’s best made and eaten fresh. The great thing about having it for dinner parties is that you can prep it before you start making dinner, and come dessert time, it’s simply a matter of whizzing it up and serving.
Don’t say I didn’t warn ya…
Read Also : Exotic Gourmet Nice Cream
COCONUT AVOCADO MOUSSE
PREP TIME : 1 hour 5 mins
TOTAL TIME : 1 hour 5 mins
Severly addictive and tastes just like a normal chocolate mousse. Coconut Avocado Mousse is bound to be your new chocolate dessert best-friend. True story.
Recipe type: Dessert
Cuisine: Vegan, Dairy-free, Gluten-free
- 1 can organic coconut cream, frozen
- 4 medjool dates, pitted and roughly chopped
- ¼ c coconut water
- ¼ c raw organic cacao powder
- 1 large avocado
- 70% organic chocolate, shaved
- Freeze your can of coconut for at least 1 hour. When it’s ready to be used, scoop out the creamy parts to a bowl. Leave the liquid and store in a container or jar for other uses.
- In a small bowl, soak chopped dates in coconut water and set aside for at least 1 hour. This will soften the dates and help it to break up easier for a smoother texture.
- When the dates are almost ready, slice your avocado in half and scoop out the flesh to a bowl.
- Add the dates to a food processor, reserving the coconut water, then blitz until it’s chopped up in smaller pieces, forming a wet paste.
- Add cacao powder, avocado and coconut cream. Make sure to add the cacao powder first to avoid it sticking to the roof of your processor when you start the motor.
- Pulse a few times then scrape the sides of the food processor with a spatula. Repeat the process, adding a bit of the reserved coconut water to get the right consistency.
- Serve your Coconut Avocado Mousse in your fancy glass and sprinkle shaved chocolate.
If you’re a fan of the Jaffa flavour, you could squeeze in juice of ½ an orange in the mixture, in place of the coconut water. Just before serving, shave orange zest like I did here.
Oooooh yeah, you won’t regret it 😉